We, the Staff and Students at Downtown Elementary School, believe that everyone has the right to be educated in a safe and friendly environment. Therefore, we will:
- Keep hands, feet and all other objects to ourselves.
- Follow directions the first time without negotiation.
- Show respect for people and property.
- Use our time wisely.
- Are responsible for our own actions at all times.
The discipline goal at Downtown Elementary is to promote a school atmosphere conducive to learning and to the safety and welfare of Downtown students and staff.
Student Discipline Code
In carrying out the districtís discipline code, the school disciplinarian shall base their decision on the severity of the infraction and other information available at the school site and draw upon appropriate resources of the District. The school disciplinarian will use the district developed discipline code for guidance in administering a safe and appropriate program for all children. Successful student behavior results when all members of the educational team participate including the child, the parent, the teacher, and the principal.
Please refer to the BCSD Guide for Parents and Students.
General Rules and Regulations
- Pupils shall comply with the regulations of the District and the school, pursue the required course of study, and respect the authority of all adults on campus.
- Pupils shall respect all physical properties of the school, including the proper care of buildings, furniture, books, and equipment.
- Pupils shall address all school personnel in a respectful manner.
- Pupils shall give courteous attention when anyone is addressing the class.
- Pupils shall request permission to speak during class activities.
- Pupils shall not engage in activities which endanger their own health or the health or safety of others.
- Hats are not to be worn.
- Students are discouraged from bringing toys, etc. to school. All items brought to school are the responsibility of the student. The school cannot be held responsible for lost, broken, or stolen items. Disruptive items will be confiscated and returned only to the parents.
- Parents will be responsible for the willful misbehavior of their children.
- Students are expected to behave appropriately and use good manners when eating in the cafeteria.
- Students are expected to enter and leave the cafeteria in an orderly manner.
- Students are to whisper quietly with friends.
- Students are expected to clean their area before leaving the cafeteria. Remember – a student is to borrow no more than 3 lunch tickets before paying them back.
School Playground Rules
- Keep hands, feet and other objects to yourself.
- Treat all adults with respect by following directions the first time they are given.
- Use equipment in an appropriate and safe manner.
- Seek out an adult to help solve disagreements.
- Stop playing when the bell rings and walk to line-up area for your class.
- Students are to walk around the flowerbeds.
- Classrooms are off limits unless accompanied by an adult.
- Picnic tables are not playground equipment.
- Four square and basketballs are allowed on the black top. All other balls must be played with on the grass area.
- The bars are to be used from north to south.
These Are Prohibited:
- Running on asphalt areas (except the track area).
- Climbing fences
- Throwing any objects other than balls.
- Kicking balls against fences or buildings.
- Riding tricycles into fences or buildings.
- Swinging from trees.
- Playing ball near a building
- Playing in between buildings
- Fighting, including play fighting
- Name calling
- Playing in drinking fountains and restrooms
- Students are to keep both hands on bars at all times – NO CHERRY DROPS! No climbing or sitting on top of bars
- Rough playing, piling or jumping on other students
- Writing or drawing on any school property
- Playing in restrooms.
The Downtown Elementary School staff provides frequent positive reinforcements to students who behave appropriately. We make ourselves visible and we repeatedly catch students being good. We strive to create a positive environment throughout our school. Positive reinforcements are provided to students, groups of students or to an entire class. The reinforcements can be in the form of:
- Positive notes to parents
- Positive phone calls to parents
- Special privileges
- Honor Hour